Monday, November 7, 2011

To McRib or Not to McRib?

I can't help it I truly love the ghastly McRib sandwich from McDonalds, the only time of the year I purposely go to this less than 5 star establishment.  Today was my annual trip to grab me this BBQ delight.  Coming back to the office my co-worker was mesmerized by the intoxicating smell and made a trip to McD's herself.  Then the reality of what we had just ingested sank upon us as she started doing a bit of research, and I must say sadly I do believe this may be the last time I devour this sandwich.

Maybe it's the perpetually wanting something I can't have that draws me to it.  Or knowing that it's bad for me, a decision that really has done me no favors in my past.  And should you know me you'll agree.  For some reason I can't help but like this sandwich, I have even gone as far as signing a petition to keep it - clearly a marketing ploy to peak our interests as consumers and I took the bait.

I myself can't bring myself to talk about the gross news I have learned but let's just say I was very surprised to learn that ingredients that are banned in other countries are found in the McRib!  Here was some of the research I found open if you dare!!

http://theweek.com/article/index/220866/whats-the-mcrib-made-of-anyway

http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/27/why-lovin-the-mcrib-isnt-a-heart-smart-idea/

Next I'm on the hunt for a healthy alternative that I can enjoy whenever the mood strikes so I was able to find this hopefully delicious concoction, I shall let you know my findings.

Photo from Morningstar.com


2 teaspoons butter, margarine or Earth Balance Vegan Spread, softened
1 clove garlic, minced
4 (1/2-inch-thick) sliced sourdough bread
1 package (10 oz.) MorningStar Farms® Hickory BBQ Riblets
2 slices pepper jack cheese or Vegan alternative, halved diagonally
2 lettuce leaves
2 thin slices red onion, separated into rings


DIRECTIONS
1. In small bowl stir together butter and garlic. Brush 1 side of each bread slice with butter mixture. Place, buttered side up, on baking sheet. Set aside.

2. Cook MORNINGSTAR FARMS HICKORY BBQ RIBLETS according to package directions. Top each riblet portion with two half slices of cheese. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts.

3. Meanwhile, broil bread slices 4- to 5-inches from the heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Top buttered sides of two bread slices with lettuce, riblet portions and onion. Top with remaining slices of bread, buttered sides down. Cut into halves. Serve immediately.

I hope we like it as much as the real fake deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment